How to Purchase a Home
in the Fair Oaks EcoHousing Community
Becoming a member is a self-selecting process. We allow people as much time as they need in order to decide whether or not cohousing is right for them. Start finding out by taking the brief questionnaire linked below. If you can answer "yes" to 10 or more questions, you would likely be a match.
We provide opportunities to explore the idea and get to know current members of the group. Call us and we can answer your questions, and come meet us at one of our monthly site tours.
Ready to Find out More About the Community?
We encourage you to do some or all of the following activities to get to know us:
* Browse this website to find out more about our vision and values, our members, and the community’s design.
* Attend one of our introductory tours to see the property and talk with some of our members and see the property. Upcoming tour dates are posted on the website page.
* Attend a community potluck or social gathering to get to know us.
* If you plan to get a mortgage, you may contact our project mortgage broker to explore your loan options. He can follow up with a letter of pre-qualification.
Tony Shira, 5th Street Financial Inc.
Luann Scally is Tony’s assistant, and can help you.
Office (707) 591-0573, Fax (707) 591-0576
* Wondering what your current house might sell for? Contact your realtor or Roz Eliaser (community member and realtor) at 916-599-6549. They can help you find comparable sales and plan for how and when to consider selling your home.
* Worried about downsizing and how you’re going to get rid of all the stuff: Take a look at the book: Rightsizing Your Life by Ciji Ware.
* Any one of the current community members would be glad to schedule a “coffee” to help you think through whether this might be the special neighborhood for you.
Ready to Reserve a Home?
* Contact Marty Maskall at 916-967-2472 or Bob Oyafuso at 916-365-6428 to see what homes are available and determine the specific home you want to reserve. You may become an Associate for a $195 non-refundable fee, and you will receive a Project Overview Handbook chock-full of information will answer many of your questions. Keep in mind that we can’t reserve any home until you’ve paid the $195 fee to become an Associate.
* The date the community receives your $195 check holds your seniority position, and allows you to reserve a specific home in the Community—to be held as long as you continue to actively fulfill the other requirements for purchase. If you have not proceeded to Full Membership within the agreed time, you’ll lose your seniority spot.
* Work with the community members to get answers to your questions and review the community’s documents of interest to you (legal, design documents, meeting minutes, etc.).
* If your preferred home is not available, you can request to be added to the Wait List. There is no charge.
Ready to Purchase a Home
and become a Full Member of the community?
* Invest your down payment and sign the within the agreed time period. We will give you the estimated date your home will be ready.
* Sign the Purchase Agreement and deliver to Marty Maskall.
* Within 7 days, provide either satisfactory documentation of funds available in sufficient amounts to purchase the home (cash buyer); or satisfactory evidence of submitting a loan application to at least one institutional lender. The documentation should be submitted to Marty Maskall.
* The Membership Team will add you to the Google Group email list and give you access to all of the Community’s Key Documents in Dropbox.
* As soon as you sign the Membership Agreement, you are encouraged to become fully involved, attending community meetings and joining a Committee.